The Next Gigantic thing is the memristor, a microscopic part that can “keep in mind” electrical states still when turned off. It’s predictable to be far cheaper and faster than blaze storage. A theoretical notion since 1971, it has currently been built in labs and is already starting to revolutionize everything we know about computing, perhaps making blaze memory, RAM, and even hard drives superseded within a decade.
The memristor is just 1 of the unbelievable technological advances sending shock waves through the earth of computing. Other innovations in the works are supplementary down to earth, but they also carry watershed implication. From the technologies that lastly make paperless offices actuality to those that convey wireless power, these advances should make your modest PC a far different creature come the turn of the decade.
In the following sections, we outline the fundamentals of 15 imminent technologies, with predictions on what may approach of them. Some are breathing down our necks various advances are motionless just out of reach and all have to be reckoned with.
(1) Memristor; A Groundbreaking New Circuit
(2) 32-Core CPUs from Intel and AMD
(3) Nehalem and Swift Chips Spell the End of
Stand-Alone Graphics Boards
(4) USB 3.0 Speeds Up Performance on External Devices
(5) Wireless Power Transmission
(6) 64-Bit Computing Allows for More RAM
(7) Windows 7: It’s Inevitable
(8) Google’s Desktop OS
(9) Gesture-Based Remote Control
(10) Radical Simplification Hits the TV Business
(11) Curtains for DRM
(12) Use Any Phone on Any Wireless Network
(13) Your Fingers Do Even More Walking
(14) Cell Phones Are the New Paper
(15) Where You At? Ask Your Phone, Not Your Friend
(16) 25 Years of Predictions